What To Do When A Wasp Stings Your Dog

I don’t know about your dog, but Coco is obsessed with chasing Wasps at the moment. She spends hours watching for them, chasing them and then trying to eat them. Up until the other day she had not managed to catch one, but I suppose it was only a matter of time before she did.

I knew straight away it was a wasp, and not a fly, by her reaction as she panicked to try and get it out of her mouth. I think she got a bit of a fright, as she seemed shocked that she had got a sting.

Wasps (Source wikipedia.org)

Obviously, as soon as it happened I got on to Facebook and Google to see what to do. Our Facebook fans were very helpful

Google also gave some great information about the things to do when your Dog is stung by a Wasp.

Basically it advised that Bee and Wasps stings are poisonous. So although the sting will hurt your dog, it is the poison that can actually make them sick.

There are a number of signs to look out for to show whether your dog is having an allergic reaction.

  • The dog might appear weak.
  • They could have difficulty breathing
  • The area where the sting was will swell up
Things to do once your dog has been stung.
  • If they are stung on the nose or lip you can try removing the sting yourself.
  • A mixture of water and baking soda can be applied to reduce the swelling. You could also apply an ice pack
  • Keep an eye on your dog. This one seemed more important to make sure there are no signs of an allergic reaction
  • Take your dog to the vet. If you are unsure, it is better to be safe than sorry!
Well after the drama of her first wasp sting, Coco was fine. She rested on the sofa for the evening, feeling sorry for herself, and lapping up all the attention.
Did it stop her? No!! She was back chasing wasps the next day!!



Leave a Reply