Home security is increasing important for home owners and getting yourself a Nest Cam Pet Camera not only can keep your home safe, but it also means you can keep an eye on your pets and talk to them when you are out of the home.
Who are Nest?
Nest creates products that basically keep you safe in your home. These include the indoor Cam, the outdoor cam, a thermostat and a smoke and CO alarm.
They are a clear leader in the marketplace in home safety and operate in Europe and North America.
Setting up the Nest Cam Pet Camera
The Nest Cam is really easy to set up in a couple of minutes. It takes no expertise and there are no lengthy instructions to follow.
Step 1 – Unpack the box, connect the power cable and plugin the unit.
Step 2 – Install the app on your smart phone. This only takes a few minutes.
Step 3 – Register the unit and all your details.
Features of The Nest Cam Pet Camera
• The Nest Cam offers 24/7 live streaming of your home and your pets.
• You get a 130-degree wide-angle view of your home via the 1080p HD camera, meaning the image you see is very clear.
• The optional 2-way communication via the camera is excellent, so you can talk to your pets.
• Night vision allows you to monitor your home even when it’s dark.
• The Nest Cam will send you alerts direct to your phone if someone enters your home.
• It comes with a magnetic stand to mount the camera in if needed.
• There is an option to record footage for 10 or 30 days via a subscription service. Meaning if you need to review anything that happened in your home you can easily search back over the footage.
Pros of the Nest Cam Pet Camera
• The camera is extremely easy to set up and register via the app. There was no complicated registration process and I easily set up the camera in a few minutes.
• The compact design of the unit means that it’s really discrete wherever you decide to locate it. The magnetic base also means you can mount it on any metal services.
• The cable is 10ft long, which means you are not limited as to where you can place it in the home.
• The night camera is excellent. It’s really nice to be able to check on the dogs if I hear them make a noise in the night, without having to leave a light on in the kitchen (where they sleep).
• The quality of the sound is very good, although one of my dogs was very anxious when I used the Nest Cam to talk to him so it wouldn’t be a feature I would use myself. I did have fun checking in with my husband when I was out though using the camera.
• The monitoring app is also available via their website, so you have the choice to monitor your home via your laptop as well as your phone.
• The app also keeps you updated on the weather and temperature, which is a nice added feature.
Cons of the Nest Cam Pet Camera
• When I first set up the camera I opted to have alerts sent to my phone if anyone was in the home. This meant that every time my dogs moved I was alerted. Much of the time they were just moving around in their bed, so there was nothing I needed to know. I could imagine if you were away from the home this could be quite stressful having alerts coming to your phone all the time and wondering if everything is ok. These can be turned off though – so consider whether you want alerts on or off before you leave the home!
• When you are setting up the camera you do need wifi and you also need to make sure that your signal is good enough for the camera. So that might mean moving your wifi box, depending on the quality of your home internet. It’s not anything to do with the quality of the camera, but it does need a good wifi signal to work.
How Much Does the Nest Cam Pet Camera Cost?
The Nest Cam is 199 euro, including VAT
You can also purchase video hosting so that your recordings are kept for either 10 or 30 days.
10-day video hosting is an additional 100 euro.
30-day video hosting is an additional 300 euro.
Should you buy a Nest Cam Pet Camera?
I was really impressed with the Nest Cam. It had all the features that I would want from a camera to protect my home and my pets.
The quality of the picture was very good and the sound was clear. You do need to place it so that it’s receiving good wifi connection to make sure it works correctly, though. So make sure you check that out before you leave the home.
I liked the size of it as well. It really doesn’t take up a lot of space and is very discreet.
I also liked the fact it records all of the time and that you can save that footage via their Nest Aware subscription service.
It’s also great that I could add on the other products that they offer to protect my home, such as the outdoor camera. If your dogs were outdoor pets, you could point an outdoor Nest camera at their kennel. Coupled with the Nest Aware this could be invaluable in recovering a dog that was stolen from the home.
Let us know in the comments below if you have a Nest Cam and what you like about it.
Note: I received the Nest Cam mentioned above for free to assist in an article we were writing about the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.