Summer time sees both us and our pets spending more time in the garden but are you aware of some of the most common dangers your pet could be exposed to? Things like Poisonous Plants, Slugs and Snail Bait, Weed Killers and much more.
Slug and snail baits
Anti-slug baits containing metaldehyde can cause dangerous seizures in pets and can be life threatening. Unfortunately, they are tasty to dogs as well as slugs with as little as 5g of bait being dangerous for an 8kg dog (standard terrier size). Pet-friendly options include crushed egg shells and beer traps.
Weed killers and fertilisers.
Although most are safe for pets to walk on once dry, the concentrate is highly irritant. Dogs, but especially cats will groom their feet especially if area is damp from spray or recent rainfall.
Many fertilisers are very rich in salts and minerals and can cause both irritation to feet, mouth and intestines and build-up to toxic levels such as iron toxicity causing liver damage. Many insecticide sprays such as those which contain permethrin are highly toxic to cats.
BBQ treats and left overs.
Bones, fruit stones and food wrappers can cause intestinal obstructions which can require surgery. Food scraps which are left over and become moldy can produce chemicals which cause severe seizures, especially in dogs. Xylitol (food sweetener) can cause severe changes in a dogs blood glucose level and even liver and kidney disease, as can grapes and raisins.
Toxic or Poisonous Plants
Lily pollen is extremely dangerous to cats and can lead to severe kidney damage. Some wild mushrooms can cause a wide range of illnesses similar to their effects on people. Onions and garlic can be toxic to both dogs and cats and cause severe anaemia. Sycamore trees, seeds, and leaves can be highly toxic to horses. Trees including yew, rhododendron, and laburnum (or any other shrub which is yellow when cut) are highly toxic and should never be disposed of where cattle, sheep, horses or goats could have access.
What Can You Do To Protect Your Pets?
Keep your pets safe and ensure they are supervised and cannot help themselves to things which could cause harm.
Be sure to read labels carefully and keep all chemicals stored in a locked cabinet or at a safe height in a closed shed to prevent access.
Article courtesy of Woodview Vets, Kerry