In a study carried out by care.com to find out Ireland’s most Google searched cat, Persians topped the list! Originating from Iran and also known as Longhairs, Persians are easily recognisable by their distinctive round face, large eyes and long hair. So, if you’re thinking of adding a Persian cat to your family, we’ve put together a list of all the need to know information surrounding Persians.
Do Persian Cats Shed Alot?
With any pet, shedding hair is a common occurrence, unless you opt for a non-shed pet. However, Persians are quite the opposite of “non-shed” as they are known as a high maintenance pet. Their long hair causes them to shed quite often but this can be controlled by adhering to the following steps:
- Brushing your cats’ hair daily- This removes the loose excess hair on top.
- Professional groomers- A common “hair trend” for Persian cats is known as the lion-cut. Basically, this is a simple way of eliminating as much hair as possible. Its called a lion cut because the body is trimmed short while the head and tip of the tail is kept regular length. This haircut makes your cats hair controllable while also making him look adorable!
- Getting rid of mats- Persian cats hair is quite thing as well as being long which is perfect for matted hair! This can also be controlled by regular brushing and baths!
How Long Do Persian Cats Live For?
The lifespan of a Persian cat is between 12-17 years. Keeping a well-balanced diet of both wet and dry food (and water) will ensure your cat has all the nutrients that it needs to keep them healthy. Other factors will affect lifespan such as environment, will the cat be indoor or outdoor? An outdoor cat faces more dangers than an indoor cat such as other animals, cars etc.
Do Persian Cats Bite?
Persian cats are not considered to be an aggressive breed. They are quite laid back and lazy. However, all kittens (and puppies) will bite. They consider this as playing. If you teach your kitten that biting is not allowed, it will be less inclined to do so. Some people have suggested ignoring your cat for 10mins as a form of punishment as Persians tend to crave attention.
Do Persian Cats Cost Alot?
Due to being pure breeds, Persian cats can be quite expensive. In America, prices for Persian kittens range from $500-$700 depending on fur colour. This price is also similar in Ireland. We would always recommend checking your local rescue centre or pound as they always have lots of cats that are looking for their forever home.
Aside from blue Persian cats, what other colour fur exists?
“Blue” is one of the most striking patterns of the Persian colours. There are six other colours;
- Cameo (red),
- Smoke tortoiseshell
- Blue-cream smoke.
What Is The Personality Of A Persian Cat?
Persian cats are non- hyperactive and can be quite lazy. They are often depicted in movies as being diva-like and this isn’t far from the truth. They are a calm cat breed and are quite happy relaxing.
However as mentioned before, they are high-maintenance cats and can also have health issues.
Why Do Persian Cat’s Eyes Run/ Leak?
As previously mentioned, Persian cats have some health issues. Some of these issues are due to the shape of their face. Persian cats are known as Brachycephalic breed. They have flat or squished looking noses and big round eyes. (Doll face Persians are slightly different as they have longer noses and have less issues with their eyes). Their eyes don’t drain properly and can produce a discharge because of this. Some white or light-coloured Persians can often have discoloured fur under their eyes and this is due to bacteria causing the discharge to turn a rusty- brown colour. Eye drainage is something that can be more of a nuisance to the cat than being harmful. Here’s a list about how to clean a Persian cat’s eyes:
- Cleaning a Persian cat’s face is a daily occurrence.
- Warning: Never put cleaning products or solutions directly onto a cat’s eyes.
- Using a cotton make-up pad, lightly add some cleaning solution and wipe UNDER your cat’s eyes to get rid of discharge.
- Always use two different pads to avoid cross contamination.
- Tip: Eye brow brushes can be useful to brush the hair around your cat’s eyes and face.
What Is The Best Food For Persian Cats?
The number one food that seems to be recommended for Persian cats:
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition – Persian Kitten Dry Cat Food.
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition – Persian Dry Cat Food.
- Purina Pro Plan Focus – Canned Cat Food.
- Wellness Healthy Indulgence Grain – Free Wet Cat Food.
- IAMS ProActive Health Adult Dry Cat Food.
What Foods Are Poisonous To Cats?
Owning a pet obviously comes with a list of responsibilities, one of those responsibilities is to make sure that it doesn’t eat anything that will make it sick. So just make sure that the following foods are kept out of your pet’s diet or else it could make them sick:
- Alcohol- even a very small amount can make a cat very sick.
- Dairy products- Adult cats are lactose intolerant which means that they cannot digest lactose which is present in milk and dairy products.
- Raw meat & fish
- Grapes & raisins
- Onions & garlic
Warning: Another common household item that can be toxic to cats and dogs is Antifreeze. Even small amounts can be lethal and the symptoms such as; Vomiting, dizzy or drunken appearance. Seek veterinary assistance if your cat has a combination of these symptoms as Antifreeze can become fatal within 12hrs.
Other Cats That Are Searched For Regularly In Ireland Are:
- Maine Coon
- Exotic shorthair
If you’re looking for loyal companion cats, the breeds that topped the lists are:
- Egyptian Mau
- Maine Coon.
Do you have a Persian Cat? We’d love to hear more about them in the comments below.