As Christmas approaches and people are putting up their Christmas trees it’s time to think about what decorations you are going to place on them. Instead of rushing out to buy decorations why not consider making your own Paw Print Christmas Ornament that you can cherish forever. It’s the sort of thing you could do every year from puppy/kitten to adult and watch their little paws grow.
They are surprisingly easy to make and require few ingredients. They are also easy to decorate and I went with plain red acrylic paint and glitter to decorate them.
How To Make A Paw Print Christmas Ornament
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Straw to make the hole
- Ribbon or String
- Acrylic Paint
Important: The ingredients are toxic to animals so they are for decoration only and should be hung out of the reach of pets.
As I mentioned they are really easy to make. Just follow the step by step instructions below.
- Mix the flour, salt and water together to make a dough.
- Kneed it for a few minutes and then roll it out on a floured surface.
- You might need to add additional water during the mixing process.
- Cut in desired shaped – I used a pastry cutter but you could use a glass or cut the shape by hand. Make sure it’s big enough to fit your cat or dogs paw on.
- Press your pets paw into the dough to make a paw shape. Tip: Make sure your pets paw is clean!
- Use the straw to make the hole. You need this so you can put the ribbon through to hang it so don’t forget!
- Bake at 200 degrees for an hour or until hard.
- Let them cool and then paint with acrylic paint.
- Once dry add the glue where you want the glitter to stick.
- Sprinkle with glitter and leave to dry. Once dry shake off the excess glue.
- Thread the ribbon through the hole and tie ready to place on the tree.