Over the last few months I have been trying out different homemade dog treat recipes on my dogs. As I mentioned before baking for your dogs is great – their appreciation and excitement never ceases to amaze me. Something so simple certainly makes those tails wag like crazy.
I recently found a great cookie cutter set in our local Aldi store, so with Valentine’s Day fast approaching it seemed appropriate for me to make some heart shaped treats for the 2 Pointers in my life – Coco and Joey.
This is a simple recipe to follow and they only take 20 minutes to make.
Ingredients for Homemade Dog Treats
- 2 cups water
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 egg
- 4-5 cups of wholewheat flour (depending on size of eggs and bananas you may need to use up to 5 cups so mixture is not so sticky)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine the water, banana, honey and egg
- Stir in the flour, oats and baking powder
- Use an electric mixer to combine or 3-5 minutes.
- Kneed on a floured board until mixture is no longer sticky. Add additional flour as needed to help with this
- Roll out to 4-5mm thickness and then cut into desired shapes
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Let them cool before you give them to your dog.