What To Do When Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee or Wasp


Dog Is Stung

Dog Is Stung

With the warmer weather, we all tend to spend a lot more time outside and our dogs are usually with us. It’s a great time for them to lay in the sun, chase butterflies and unfortunately encounter bees and wasps that might sting them.

We all know our dogs love to chase things and bees and wasps are no exception. I know when my 2 dogs chase them it makes me really nervous in case the get a sting. But short of keeping them inside all the time, the best thing is to be prepared in case your dog gets stung by a bee or wasp.

Most of the time a single sting will be fine and will just be an irritation for your dog with some swelling. However, there are times when multiple stings or a sting in the mouth or throat would be dangerous and require a visit to the vets.

Was It a Bee or Wasp That Stung Your Dog?

Bees and wasps are the most common types of stings that your dog will experience but they are actually quite different in the way that they sting.

A bees sting gets lodged in the dog and when they pull away the sting remains and the bee then goes on to die. This means your dog will only get stung once by a bee.

A wasp, however, can sting multiple times and their sting is a lot more painful than a bee. If you dog is persistently trying to catch the wasp then they could receive more than one sting from them.

What Happens When Your Dog Is Stung?

It’s most likely that your dog will get stung on the face or paw from either trying to catch bee or wasp or trying to dig at somewhere they can see it. Both my dogs have been stung on the paw doing this and while they have both been ok they were a bit shocked.

A sting on the nose is really painful for them and as mentioned above if they are stung in the mouth or throat then a trip to the vet is required as the swelling can cause their throats to swell and block their airways.

A lot of the time your dog will just scratch or nibble at their paw and may limp slightly. There are able to walk on their paw but the discomfort causes them to do this.

Bee Sting

More Severe Allergic Reactions Include:

• A large amount of swelling
• Irritation to the area they were stung
• Swelling that gradually moves away from the site of the sting
• They seem weak

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then make sure you take them to the vets straight away. It’s always better to be cautious.

What Should You Do When Your Dog Is Stung

Remove the Sting

Most of the time the sting will be fine and it will just annoy your dog. Occasionally you might be able to see the sting in your dog and you can try and remove it.
Be really careful though that you are not pushing more of the sting, and poison, into your dog trying to remove it.

Apply Ice

This can help reduce the pain that your dog is experiencing and take down the swelling. If the swelling is extremely bad, then your vet will prescribe an antihistamine however you should never administer anything without checking with your vet first.

Home Remedies

If you can determine if the sting was from a wasp or a bee you can decide which product will help with the pain.

  • If it’s a bee sting then a solution of bicarbonate of soda will neutralize the acidic venom.
  • If it’s a wasp sting then vinegar or lemon juice will neutralise the alkaline venom.

Lots of Cuddles

It’s likely that if your dog gets stung then they are going to feel a little sorry for themselves. No-one likes to be in pain and normally an extra dose of love and cuddles goes a long way to relax your pets.

Unsure What To Do?

If you have concerns about your dog and whether the sting is serious or not, then always take the to your vet. They are best placed to give you their professional opinion and treat your dog accordingly.

Comments

comments

Previous All About The Corgi: Cost, Pricing, Breeders and More
Next The Nose of Tralee, Robodog, A Travelling Cat & More: Pawtime Press