I recently made a dog friendly cake for my dogs – which they loved. But if you want to make something that is a bit smaller then dog friendly cupcakes are the way to go.
You could also make a cake and a selection of cupcakes if you were hosting a dog friendly party for your dog.
Pet Sitters Ireland provide Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Services across all of the Republic of Ireland for all types of animals. Call us 1800 303010 or 087 9898042 or Contact Us for more information.
Peanut Butter Dog Friendly Cupcakes
I decided to make muffin size cupcakes and got cases from Aldi. But you could get smaller bun size cases, which would make a smaller cupcake. The recipe is for 12 buns, but with the larger muffin cases I made 8 cupcakes.
It was a really quick recipe and aside from the time for cooling it only took me about 45 minutes to make them.
Dog Cake Mix
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
- 1 cup of half water/milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
*Dogs can eat peanut butter as long as it is fed in moderation and does not contain Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute. It is safe for people, but toxic to dogs.
Dog Cake Icing
- 1/2-3/4 tub of cream cheese (depends how much icing you want on each cupcake)
- 6 raspberries mashed
- 2-4 tbsp of peanut butter to thicken the icing
- Dog friendly chocolate buttons to decorate
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Mix the cake mix ingredients together in a bowl until everything is blended together
- If the mix is a bit dry then add more water/milk mix
- Place the mixture into cupcake cases on a baking tray
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees (Keep checking as all ovens vary in cooking speed)
- Take out and leave to cool on a wire tray
To Make the Icing
- Mix the cream cheese and crushed raspberries* together
- Add peanut butter to thicken the icing. It can be a bit runny with just the cream cheese and raspberries.
- Add the icing mix to an piping bag and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. If you don’t have a piping bag you could just use a spoon.
*Most berries are safe for your dog to eat in moderation, including raspberries.
Cake like this should be used as a treat and not as a substitute for a dogs main diet. If you are concerned about your dog eating cake, or are not sure how much they should eat, then always consult with your vet.
Did You Make The Cake? Did Your Dog Love It? Let Us Know In The Comments Below.