There are people that will think it’s a mad idea to make your dog a birthday cake, but I think it’s a brilliant idea!
Who doesn’t love a birthday cake and why would your dog be any different.
We don’t get enough years with our dogs – so I say spoil them every moment you can!
Pet Sitters Ireland provide Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Services across all of the Republic of Ireland for all types of animals. Call us 1800 303010 or 087 9898042 or Contact Us for more information.
Peanut Butter & Carrot Dog Birthday Cake
I wanted to make a dog friendly cake that was simple. One that had few ingredients and wasn’t complicated to make.
I think this cake fits that criteria.
Even an amateur cake baker like myself can manage to impress with this recipe!
Dog Cake Mix
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
- 1 cup grated carrots (this was 2 medium sized carrots)
- 1-2 eggs (depending on size)
- 1/3 cup honey
*Dogs can eat peanut butter as long as it is fed in moderation and does not contain Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute. It is safe for people, but toxic to dogs.
Dog Cake Icing
- 220g cream cheese
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2-4 tbsp of peanut butter
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Mix the dry cake mix ingredients together in a bowl
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix together well until everything is blended together
- Place the mixture in a 7″ cake tin
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees
- Take out and leave to cool on a wire tray
- Meanwhile mix the cream cheese and banana together in a bowl
- Add the peanut butter until the mixture is firm enough to spread easily on the cake (If the mixture is not thick enough it will be hard to ice the cake)
- Ice the cake once it is completely cool and then decorate as desired. I used dog chocolate buttons and biscuit bones to make it look pretty
- Sit back and watch the waggy tails and happy dogs!
If you want to make smaller cakes then you could make cupcakes and decorate them individually. This can be a great option if you are planning to have a party and invite lots of dogs.
Cake like this should be used as a treat and not as a substitute for a dogs main diet. If you are concerned about your dog eating cake, or are not sure how much they should eat, then always consult with your vet.
Did you make the cake? Did your dog love it? Let us know in the comments below.